Market House Theatre (MHT) has held their Kid Creative Arts Street fair for the past five years. This year the event will be held on Saturday, August 18. Join the fun from 10 am to 2 pm and celebrate the creative arts with this Street Fair on Market Square in downtown Paducah.
This family-friendly activity is sponsored by Market House Theatre, with additional funding from The National Quilt Museum. Over a dozen Paducah non-profit arts and culture organizations will provide a wide variety of “hands on” experiences.
The event will be held between the MHT Box Office and Yeiser Art Center - at 2nd Street and Kentucky Avenue. Children of all ages may choose between the many booths offering crafts, art, drama, music, games, stories, dance and much more!
In the MHT Theatre & Studio Theatre there will be several interactive sessions for kids featuring theatre games, improv, and performances. In addition, MHT will have a make-your-own tie-dye t-shirt booth, (where there will be a small donation requested for the t-shirt) and ribbon dancing.
MHT will also have a booth for children to explore theatrical sound effects. As well as a fun photo opportunity where kids can dress up in costumes and use some of the theatre’s scenic backdrops. Watch for costumed “strollers” who will add to the festive atmosphere.
There will also be free inflatables on the Carson Center lawn.
There will be a free performance of PlayTime’s Little Red Riding Hood in MHT’s Studio Theatre at 11:30 am. A free copy of the book Little Red Riding Hood will be given to audience members provided by McCracken County Early Childhood Council. The Paducah Bank WOW Wagon will provide free ice cold treats.
"The Street Fair is a fabulous way to introduce your kids to the arts,” said April Cochran, event co-chair and Education Director for Market House Theatre. “In one short block - you’ll get the chance to metalsmith a token, sing some karaoke, make a musical instrument, learn a hip hop routine, make a paperboy puppet, enjoy ice cream, take home a balloon creation and try out a violin! And best of all….it’s all free!”
For more information, visit markethousetheatre.org
Partial list of Participants
- National Quilt Museum - Braided wrist bands
- The Carson Center - Kids Karaoke tent
- Harmony Road Music School - Make-and-take a rhythm instrument
- River Discovery Center - Fish bowls
- Maiden Alley Cinema - Movie themed photo booth
- DanceMHT - Ribbon dancing
- Paducah School of Art and Design - Create a metal stamped token
- Yeiser Art Center - Paper bag puppets and foam shapes necklaces and bracelets
- Paducah Symphony Orchestra - Instrument petting zoo
- McCracken County Public Library - Create your own Story Book
- Paducah Wall to Wall - Coloring station & free coloring book
- McCracken County Early Childhood Council - Make Little Red’s woven basket
- Star Bright - Learn a song in French or Spanish
- The Challenger Learning Center - Constructing Straw Rockets
- MAKE - Paper craft fun: Color and Design your own creative shapes
- Market House Theatre - Tie Dye T Shirts, Costume dress-up and photo booth, Sound EFX booth